Friday, March 12, 2010

Life in the Fast Lane

Well I have not seen much of Alex the last two weeks. All because Joe Biden came to Jordan yesterday. Alex has been in charge of the official motor pool. He has been organizing the transportation of around 50 secret service agents for the last week. He has spent a lot of time at their "control room" in the Sheraton Hotel here in Amman. They took a few hotel rooms and transformed them into a control post. This has been very exhausting for Alex trying to coordinate his Jordanian drivers with the rigid, uptight American agents. They have not been patient with the drivers who show up on time, but with no gas in the car (oops)!

Alex was also in charge of the arrival and dispersal of the official vehicles from a huge military plane, including Joe Biden's personal limo. He even got to drive one of the official vehicles today in the motorcade at 90 MPH. He hasn't admitted it but I think he has had fun (when he wasn't totally stressed out). This stuff has been straight out of the movies. Similar to the "big film" budgets as well. He has worked a ton of overtime the same week that we have all been sick, we bought a house in Utah (that will be another post), and I had several job interviews and accepted a position teaching at the kids' international school for next year. Whew, I am tired after just typing all that! It really has been "life in the fast lane" with Alex behind the wheel! Watch out! No, seriously, Alex is an excellent driver.

Oh, by the way, here is something I found interesting. Joe Biden's personal driver is a woman! She drives his limo at those high speeds everywhere he goes! Funny, huh?! When anyone is making fun of women drivers I am going to mention this little tidbit. Although the women drivers here in the Middle East are actually pretty bad, I will admit. But you would be too if you were trying to drive with numerous blind spots from your veil!

So, Alex will probably complain even more now when he has to drive the family minivan! I think it is great. Yesterday I fit 10 kids and three adults in the old van. I took two other moms with absentee husbands and their children to the local "Jungle Bungle" for a few hours of jumping and sliding. We put the seats down and everyone climbed in the back and it was good times! I love living where there are no laws as to how many people can ride inside, or outside for that matter, a vehicle. My life is as exciting as the VP's motor pool, no???

3 comments:

Amber said...

Oh my goodness.. you are going back to teaching! Is Colin going to be in your class? Are Gaby and Andrew wondering if you can be their teacher, too? Wow!!

Anonymous said...

What is this about going back to work just as you get your last one off to school????

Hawkes Family said...

Yes, it is true. I am going to go back to teaching this year. I was offered a job that was too good to pass up. I'll be teaching special education, working with middle school and high school students. It is a great salary and they will pay for Colin to be there as well in full-time preschool. I will only have twenty students with a full-time assistant. And I only see four or five students at a time. So I said "yes". Let's hope I don't regret it!