Friday, March 12, 2010

Meeting VP Joe Vitamin

Today I took the kids to dad's work (the US Embassy) to meet the Vice President of the United States! Pretty cool, huh? A few weeks ago Colin learned about Presidents in preschool since it was President's Day. He could not pronounce Joe Biden, but instead has been calling him "Joe Vitamin". He also said that Barack Obama lives in Jerusalem and for work he prays all day! Pretty hilarious how confused a four year-old can get living in the Middle East!

Back to the story! We ended up having to wait about an hour in the hot March sun (he,he - no complaints from me). When he arrived there were a few hundred people waiting behind a roped off area. He walked straight to our little Colin and shook his hand! It was pretty cute, Kirby and Vitamin! It was the only hand he shook before he talked! He spoke to us unscripted, straight from the heart. It was really touching, I even got teary when he was thanking us for living in the Middle East and making sacrifices to serve our country. He then asked all the kids to come up on the podium with him. Gaby and Andrew were standing beside him, and Colin was placed right in the front (I was holding me breath the whole time that my darling four year old wouldn't pick his nose or knock something over)! I had about twenty secret servicemen between me and complete humiliation! Luckily nothing bad happened except for Andrew slightly shoving a little girl trying to nab his spot. VP Biden talked to the kids for awhile. He gave them some great advice, you could tell he is a father and grandfather. My favorite thing he said to the young ladies was to wait until they were thirty before dating and marriage. Right on! Gaby already has had a boy in her 4th grade class call and say he "likes her"!

After he spoke we all had the opportunity for a photo with him. I will post it as soon as the Embassy Photographer makes them available. We got a family picture with Colin refusing to look at the camera or his beloved "Joe Vitamin". Oh well. At least I got the picture for Facebook. :)

It was a great experience, I felt very patriotic. It is neat to show respect for the office and organization of our country, even when you have not necessarily voted for that person. I was glad my kids had that chance to meet him and be personally thanked for their little lives here. It has been neat for them to see their dad so involved in this visit, and to feel pride for what he does. We truly our members of the greatest nation on the Earth. Even during hard times, I have faith we will pull through. God Bless the USA!




3 comments:

Rita Merrick said...

I love reading about all of your adventures. Thanks for taking the time to write about them. I wish we lived a little closer so our kids could get to know yours a little more. Luke could use some lessons from Colin about pounding on older brothers when they deserve it!

Anonymous said...

This is so neat. I am so wanting to live your exciting life!!!

Brittney Erb said...

That's so cool! And I love that he called him "Joe Vitamin". LoL