Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Outsmarted by a 6th Grader

Each day Gaby is required to practice the piano for at least 20 minutes. Just today, I was mentioning to Shelley how good Gaby sounds and that she had made considerable improvement. I especially empathize with her since I can remember how painful it was at her age to have the discipline to sit down and practice the piano.

A few minutes after I said this, I looked into the music room and noticed that even though I could still hear her practicing, Gaby was busy on her iTouch. Apparently, she had recorded herself on the electronic piano and had it playing on a loop. A recording of her practicing (from I don't know how many days ago) was playing.

I didn't know whether to congratulation her for her ingenuity or call her out on cutting corners. What, if any, punishment do you think is appropriate?

3 comments:

Monica H. said...

Oldest trick in the book...we did this to our parents daily. We perfected the song so we could record it and stick it on repeat, but then realized we actually learned the song when we were trying to be sneaky.

Natalie Wright said...

Hahahahaha! That is brilliant. Make her record a dozen Christmas songs so you can play them during the holidays. Play it often. Maybe she will get sick of listening to herself play over and over again!

patty said...

Wow! She is a smart girl. She's now a girl of my own heart. I think I would try to find a punishment that matches the crime, but deep down inside I'd be proud and wouldn't be able to stop smiling. I agree with Natalie, now have her record music for you!