Sunday, November 20, 2011

Death Marches

Parenting is like warfare. Tactics and strategies always need to be reevaluated and adjusted to fit the terrain and the opposing forces' strategies. The opposing force will always find new tools in their arsenal to conduct subversive activities. If you do not adapt, the enemy will overrun your position.

Shelley and I have struggled with finding the right approach to disciplining our children. We've tried positive reenforcement and rewards. We've tried bribing them with dessert, money, and toys. We've tried a variety of time outs in various places and lengths. Most of these approaches seem to work for a short time after being deployed; however, their effectiveness eventually diminishes. Once the approach is no longer effective, we are faced with having to return to the drawing board.

Our latest offensive is dubbed, "Operation Death March." How this works is that when our kids misbehave in public, in the car, or anywhere outside the house, they are required to walk home. Since being implemented last month, our kids have had to walk home from the library, church (3 out of the last 4 weeks), and the store. The kids arrive home exhausted. Before you run off to find the phone number for the Virginia's Social Services, I should clarify that Shelley or I accompany them on the walk home. We usually enjoy the exercise; however, when our kids hear the threat of a Death March, they usually stop kicking the seat in front of them, teasing their sibling, or doing whatever is getting them in trouble.

4 comments:

Rita Merrick said...

Thank you for the idea. I'm sure my kids will not be thanking you though. Ideas like this are always helpful in our house.

Just US said...

LOVE the idea! We might just have to start implementing this tactic in our house as well :)

Donna said...

I'm thinking this could work well on the hills of Jordan. (where, by the way, you are sorely missed...)

patty said...

I introduced the threat of the death march to my kids this weekend. It sounded even worse now that it is getting colder. However they did think it was a better alternative to the cold shower so I'm not sure how effective it will be.