I went to an Embassy sponsored “spouse coffee” with Colin the other day. You weren’t really suppose to bring kids but the CLO’s at the Embassy told me to bring him since I was new and had no where else for him to go. I must be crazy because the other day I had taken him shopping with a nice Jordanian friend I had made and the day was a complete disaster. He whined the whole morning and I had to carry him through the outdoor shopping area while he kicked, cried, and called me a “poo-poo diaper”. Nightmare! So I had very low expectations going to someone’s home, but I am desperate to make a few friends. The hosts live around the corner from us so I thought I would just go make an appearance and meet my neighbors. Well, miracles do not cease to occur, Colin was an angel. He sat next to me and politely ate his pastries while appearing to be listening to the ladies discussion on facial products! I thought to myself, it is because there is food, this won’t last. But the boy must be feeling sick or something because he sat on my lap nicely behaved for an hour!
Later the hostess mentioned she had a son who was at daycare but Colin could go play in his room. Yeah! Toys! We are without the majority of our things right now so this was a great invitation. That little boys room was like a toy store being opened up just for Colin. He was in heaven. I was then able to observe our host (from Lebanon) give an amazing cooking lesson on a traditional Middle Eastern dish, tabbouleh. It is mostly chopped parsley with tomatoes, onion, olive oil, and spices. The spices here are amazing. Every store has a spice counter with everything prepared fresh for you. I can’t wait to learn to make a few new dishes. So all the ladies were in the kitchen enjoying their food when in comes Colin and points to my bowl indicating he wants some of what I am eating. Now remember this dish is 90% chopped parsley. Well those gals have never met Colin. They were amazed watching him gobble down my whole bowl. One of the CLO’s took his picture to put in the Embassy newsletter. They thought it was so cute. Yeah, maybe he can reinstate a good reputation after the pool incident (see story from previous entry)! Although when I picked up the kids at camp that day they told me someone in their group threw-up in the pool so they once again evacuated to clean. Hopefully Colin will be remembered for something good now!
Here is one last mentionable. The other day that same Jordanian friend took me to the most wonderful bakery. They have fresh pita bread, sandwich bread, rolls, pastries, etc. The bread here is amazing. It is so different from Latin America where everything looks good but all tastes the same (like lard). I bought some stuffed pastries with cheese, spinach, or mashed potatoes inside. They were so yummy. They have really good cheese here. Everything was very light and delicious. Too bad I haven’t found any spinning classes yet. I will have to stay clear of the bakeries until I get my workouts more regular! The Embassy gym is nice, but I am really missing spinning. The gyms here (besides the Embassy) are segregated female or male, as are other services like hairdressers. This same friend took me to meet her hairdresser, who is male and works in a salon for women only, but it is all males working there. Kind of funny, huh? Each day I live, learn, and now enjoy delicious baked goods. I have already been back to the bakery with the whole family! J
3 comments:
Shelley,
I found your blog through some blog stocking (Natalie's). I had no idea you were in Jordan. What an exotic life you lead. And what memories--Josh, Kasey and I were all at the Dead Sea just ten short years ago. Crazy, no? Well, I'm loving reading about your fun adventures! Take care.
-Jessy
Wow, I had no idea that your blog was so thorough, I just spent a good while catching up with you guys. Thank you for letting us in with the descriptions of activities and photos. Love ya! Percy
Hello....I read and saw your blog, I loved and I am trying to leave a coment....but facing some difficulties! Love, Luisa
Post a Comment