Sunday, October 9, 2011

Cub Scout Den Leader


Shelley was asked (and surprisingly agreed) to be a Wolf Scout den leader. Last year while we lived in Jordan, I was Andrew's cub scout leader so I had a weekly ritual of gathering rowdy, smelly boys to teach them life lessons. Now, Shelley will have the privilege of corralling ten Wolf Scouts to have them repeat the cub scout law, promise, and the pledge of allegiance.

If the scouting program wants to encourage more women to volunteer in the scouting program, they need to rethink and redesign their uniform. As it is now, women have the choice of wearing the Fidel Castro-inspired green pants with a tan, button-down shirt: an exact replica of the one worn by the men. Their other option is an outfit designed in the 1940s reminiscent of airline stewardesses and military clerical workers of the day. Now that I've dug myself in a hole, Shelley does look good in her uniform (that was not sarcastic).

1 comment:

patty said...

Hey! That's what I do! Welcome to the world of rowdy, smelly, fun loving, easily pleased little cub scouts. I swear no matter what you do they think it is all great. Even geekier than the green/brown uniform is the yellow den leader shirt I sport. Have fun!