Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Adventures in Hagerstown

At the end of the film Indiana Jones Raiders of the Lost Ark, the Ark of the Covenant is placed into a large U.S. government warehouse. The camera zooms out to reveal endless rows of wooden crates packed tight, deep, and high in a dimly lit warehouse.

I am almost certain the final resting place of the Ark of the Covenant is at Hagerstown, Maryland. This is a long-term storage warehouse run by the State Department. Foreign Services officers heading overseas are allowed to send their personal household belongings to this warehouse. Their belongs stay frozen in time until they return to the U.S. to take a domestic assignment or leave the State Department.

Five years ago, as we were preparing to leave for Mexico, Shelley and I sent our furniture and many of our other treasures to this warehouse. Now that we are returning to the U.S. and needing to furnish a large house, we went to the Hagerstown warehouse to pick up all our belongings. I was impressed with the size and efficiency of the operation.





2 comments:

Brittney Erb said...

LoL!! That totally looks like the warehouse from Indiana Jones!! That's too funny.
P.S. We sure had fun with your family this summer! Good luck in DC. Can't wait to see you guys again :)

Amber said...

I showed it to Seth, and he thinks the ark is there, too.