Sunday, May 8, 2011

Pets Arrive at the Hawkes' Nest

All along I have told my kids that we would not be getting pets any time soon. As it is now, Shelley and I have our hands full taking care of three kids.

Earlier this month, the kids came home from school to find two small, perhaps three week old, chicks in our backyard. I imagine that some neighbors bought Easter chicks, had them in their apartment for a few weeks, and then realized they hadn't thought ahead to when these chicks would get bigger and noisier. They then probably threw them over the wall and into our yard.

For a minute I thought of using my Chilean grandfather's time-tested technique of taking a taxi ride with unwanted pets and leaving them in the back seat of the taxi. However, my Chilean grandmother's animal-loving side of me did not allow me to do this. So, we ended up keeping them.

The kids came up with names for their new pets: Toot and Puddle (from a book series). Gaby has impressed me by being very responsible and diligent in feeding the birds, cleaning their cage, and giving them time outside their cage each day.

Since we leave Jordan in a month and a half, I need to find a long-term home for them. If anyone has an idea of how to pawn them off, let me know.


No comments: